OUR REUNION CO-CHAIRS
Bill Steed (center) and Jean Steed (right) with
2016 reunion co-host Pam Bloustine (left)
We're in luck again! Our hosts, Jean and Bill Steed,
are both Marines. So expect a well-organized,
tightly-run, all-around good time!
OUR HOME FOR THE WEEK
Embassy Suites Phoenix-Scottsdale
The Rooms: How Suite It Is!
- Easily reached by car via I-10 or I-40 (via I-17)
- 15 miles or 20 minutes from the Phoenix Sky Harbor
- Transportation between the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
and Embassy Suites for WWII Marines, wives and widows only
will be provided by volunteers.
- All others can take a taxi (approximate cost is $42)
or arrange a shuttle (www.supershuttle.com, approximately $25).
The hotel does NOT have a shuttle.
More Hotel Highlights
- Discounted room rate: $91 ($102.44 with tax)
for a 2-room suite with 1 king or 2 double beds
- Living area with queen sleeper sofa and arm chair
- Kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave & wet bar
- Private balcony
- Two large-screen TVs
- In-room safe
- Free wifi
- Limited number of wheelchair accessible rooms
(so reserve early if you need one)
- Special room rates are available 3 days before and
3 days after the reunion dates
We're making it easy for you!
All events, excluding the optional tours, will be held at the Embassy Suites.
- Free cook-to-order and buffet breakfast daily
- Happy hour with free drinks and snacks daily
- Free parking
- Full service restaurant and bar
- 60 restaurants within a mile and a half
- 1 block from Paradise Valley Mall
- Shuttle to restaurants and shopping within 1 mile
- Outdoor pool
- Fitness center
- Check in - 3:00 pm; check out - noon
WE'D LOVE TO HAVE YOU JOIN US!
Find all the details in the
spring edition of the Striking Sixth Newsletter, available
here. Then follow these steps:
- Review all the details, including the Schedule of Events on page 14.
- Print the Registration Form on pages 15-16. Fill it out
and mail it with your check to Jean by July 14.
- Reserve a room at the Embassy Suites Phoenix-Scottdale
by July 14. You can do it online, or call
(602) 765-5800 or
- Enter or mention Group Code 6TH to get the special
- There are two other Embassy Suites, so make sure
you ask for the Embassy Suites Phoenix-Scottsdale.
WHAT'S GOING ON
Whether you're hanging out in our Hospitality Room talking to some amazing Marines,
or taking the optional -- but highly recommended -- field trips, we guarantee
you'll learn a lot,
laugh a lot, and make new friends!
Tuesday, August 15
- "Hello Arizona" evening reception in the Hospitality Room
with hors d'oeuvres, music, and catching up.
Jim McAfee, Dan Accrocco, and Oscar Soifer at the 2015 reunion
Wednesday, August 16
- Tour of the world-class Musical Instrument Museum
followed by lunch at the home of Bill & Jean Steed.
Includes a look at Bill's Marine Corps collection!
Bus transportation is also included.
Thursday, August 17
The engaging and inspiring Musical Instrument Museum --
listen to 6500+ musical instruments from all over the world
original cultural settings through your own
- Tour of the amazing new OdySea Aquarium --
bus transportation, but lunch is on your own at one of
several restaurants onsite
- Dinner Buffet at the hotel plus "Rock'n Memories"
with Pam and Bruce performing oldies but goodies
Friday, August 18
Two million gallons of water, 500 species, 30,000 animals and
50 exhibits: all at the OdySea Aquarium!
- Morning and afternoon trips to Casino Arizona with slots,
blackjack, keno, and more. Includes bus transportation,
but lunch is on your own.
- Ladies' Luncheon at the hotel
- General Meeting and Amazing Action-Packed Auction
in the Hospitality Room after dinner on your own
Saturday, August 19
Casino Arizona: test your luck -- or skill! -- with
play slots, blackjack, keno and more!
- Memorial Service with color guard, singer and bagpiper
at the hotel in the morning
- Group and family photos following the Memorial Service
- Dinner Banquet -- the grand finale with special guest speaker
and great entertainment
Don Honis rings the bell while Harry McKnight
reads the names of the recently departed at the
2016 Memorial Service